Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

A small mystery


A few months ago, I noticed a small solar light, like the ones people put in their yard, on the south side of the road. It's near the fence, about mid-way between my house and the old J.C. Cave place. I thought maybe it marked a pipe or some such, and let it slip from my mind.

Today, I saw a nice red car drive by here and stop in that place. I was thinking they were checking the cotton when I remembered the marker on that side of the road. I also recollected that I had seen another vehicle or two stop there, but I had justified the activity with simple reasons, like maybe someone was talking on their cell phone or had a bee in the car.

After I saw the car take off, I drove up there to see if I could figure out what they were doing and found that the solar light is now marking a full-blown grave. It is small, about the size of a baby or medium dog. I've been around here my entire life and have never heard of a wreck or incident in that spot where a human life ended. That nearly covers a fifty-year span.

When I say a small mystery, I am referring to the size of the grave, but if it is human, it is not such a small matter, at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.