Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

A hard woman, I quit, etc.

Good Lord! Either I had too much coffee this morning or all my thoughts from the week are culminating, because I woke up with a lot of opinions. I think that's just pesky. I prefer to daydream about non-controversial things, like my discovering Oveda Culp Hobby.

I'm going to throw it all out there in what I hope is an inoffensive manner.

-I'm glad to see the changes in the Rotan ISD administration, and was surprised to find that others felt the same way. It will be interesting to see where the new leaders take the school.

-If anyone else had the same experience I had when my child was "diagnosed" with autism, you'd think all the hype was bogus. I flinch every time I hear the catch-phrase "Autism Speaks". I've got a laundry list of gripes on this topic, but I'll just say that my "autistic" kid, now an adult, drives, works and pays bills. I'm glad we took a pass on that billing. Sometimes people are just different, and that's ok.

-Keep an eye on those oil-field folk working on your land, and hold them to a high standard from the git-go. You didn't sell them your soul when you leased your land and minerals.

-I quit smoking eight weeks ago and it's not the cravings or depression that are eating my lunch, it's that I seem to have forgotten how to breathe. A lot of yawning, sighing and trying to catch my breath is going on. I wonder if there's a re-breathing class I can take.

My big book find this week was Mr. Chairman, an educational volume written by Oveta Culp Hobby. In researching this author, I found that she was a remarkable person and left a great legacy. In her photos, she looks hard and determined, enviable traits, especially for a woman of her time. She was born in 1905, and the book was copyrighted in 1936, this particular edition printed in 1938. She was the first secretary of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, the first commanding officer of the Women's Army Corps, and chairman of the board of the Houston Post.

Mrs. Hobby was from Texas, born in Killeen, died in Houston, 1995.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.