Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Looking for books

I've gotten on this kick lately of going to garage sales and thrift shops looking for regional books. My big finds for the past couple of weeks were The Boy Captives by Clinton Smith, and Runnels is My County by Charlsie Poe.

Runner-ups were a book of poetry by Mayzell Fenton of Snyder and a Coke County Little League fundraising cookbook.

I found Smith's book at The Country Store in Rotan.

I get a real thrill when I find one of these books. They are usually reprints published by a vanity press. Smith's book was printed by San Saba Printing.

The Boy Captives brothers capitalized on an incident that covered a short period of time in their youth. It's kind of funny to see these elderly men dressed in Indian garb, holding a bow and arrow. The tales are very interesting and specific, and although they had probably been finally honed over time, gave me the sense of true going-ons in a camp. I would recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.