Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Hello, sucker!

- Summer mimosa -
The headline is a quote used by Texas Guinan, a famous 1920's New York speakeasy hostess, who was born in Waco, Texas, to greet customers visiting her establishment.  I had never heard of her until yesterday, after I read about her in a book I picked up at the Sweetwater Goodwill, The American Heritage History of the 20's and 30's.

Another interesting find was Pointie Talkie, a little 5" x 4" x 1/4" book. According to the China-Burma-India Theater website, it is an interpretation guide issued to United States Army Air Force personnel during World War II in case they were downed over China. English phrases are printed on one side, with the corresponding Chinese printed next to it.

Alright, now that I've dived into the 20's, 30's and 40's, lets come back to the present. I check the Railroad Commission drilling permit website daily, and Fisher county had been stuck at 294 pages for quite awhile. I was looking forward to getting to 295. Then, this week, it had suddenly jumped to 299. I was pretty excited, but I couldn't see any new permits issued. I'm still looking for the reason for the increase. Maybe an update in the way the permits are listed changed the number.

I received a letter from my landman this week asking me to extend my mineral rights leases by a year, without extra pay, to help them catch up on development delays caused by the last three months disasters. Maybe he should have opened the letter with Guinan's catch phrase.

The photo today is of the mimosa tree in my back yard. It smells so good in the still of the morning and attracts hummingbirds and butterflies. It's pretty messy, too, with dead blooms clinging to clothes on the line and covering the ground like bits of old, pink cotton. I'll take it, though, for the pleasure of its shade and sweet scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.