Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2020

The thing about the messenger

I think maybe the messenger isn't so innocent.

When tv stations allow scam commercials, some featuring the likes of Tom Selleck, Alex Trebek and Joe Namath, people I used to to respect (but, who cares!), to air, aren't they complicit in the crime? I mean, to me, the station is endorsing the product by airing it, and especially because they're taking money for it!

And in newspapers and magazines, all those scammy ads in the classifieds; do they approve of the message by printing it? Aren't they supposed to want to be known as factual purveyors of the truth? Do I have to mince through copy and decide for myself what warrants believability and what is chaff?

How about the postal service? Anyone can mail anything to my house, even bilkers from Sweden who want me to send them $35 to tell me the meaning of my magic number. The postal service wants us to trust them, but, again, it's up to me to figure out which mail is junk and which is from a legitimate source.

I know I have to watch out for myself, but it would be so helpful if "trusted sources" would weed out some of the sinners that try to fleece the unwitting.

I have to walk the line in life, but these shysters are making money on defrauding people, in plain sight.

Another thing, when anyone, any show, on ABC claims they are more watched, that's true, but just because it's the only station that everyone can get, digital, antennae or streaming. It really skews the curve, David Muir. You want me to believe you're the number one trusted newscaster, but when you shape facts to fit your box, you have not gained my confidence.

Phew! I just had to say all that. Now, on to facebook to start an argument about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.