Pages

Monday, May 25, 2020

Oil & onions

- Onions on strings -
Flares are starting to be lighted and traffic is picking up in this area. West Texas Intermediate is hanging around $33 and there's talk that the oil field is fixing to open back up. I'm just waiting to see.

I had a bumper crop of onions this year, for me anyway. I have way more than one person would need. I was despairing that they would all go to ruin when someone suggested I tie them up. A little help from the interweb made me look like a mad genius ready for the farmer's market. It was surprisingly easy and entertaining to weave the onions onto a piece of rope. They look so pretty! That just might be in the eye of the beholder, though. I didn't wash them off, I thought I'd let the rain do that.

I've been spending a lot of time in the cellar, lately. It seems like hail comes with every bit of rain. You know, a couple of years of windshield- and window-breaking hail have made me paranoid for life, even if it did happen fifteen years ago. The storms are really fierce out here, they just growl and grind and blow. So frightening.

It looks like it's going to be a wet week. I've been running around planting seeds everywhere, taking advantage of the moisture. I'm determined not to let the stickers take over my yard, to have pretty flowers and plants pushing them out. The problem is my perseverance falters when summer comes. I don't want to stand in the heat watering and have to pay a big bill. Eventually I'll just have a bunch of dried out stems and vines with stickers poking out between. It happens every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.