Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2018

The state of my rural Texas internet

- My internet service -
The way I get internet is to turn on my cell phone hotspot and connect to my laptop. The phone is placed in a strategic position, atop a mirror, to obtain the maximum service in this area, two bars.

I've had satellite internet, but not since 2012, when DishTV changed their provider from WildBlue to whoever, and expected me to pay for new equipment. Perhaps, if they had been forthright about the change, I would have been willing to pay. Instead, they used a service call situation to say my dish was irreparably damaged and I needed all new equipment (after I took down the old dish, I saw all it needed was a new transponder, a small one or two inch box, that water had leaked into after the casing was broken by hail ).

Also, I told DishTV, before the installer came out, that I would not be paying for a new pole or whatever, a gimmick that has been used on me at least three times, to get me to hand out $100 on the spot. The installer asked for the money, I yelled, and that was the end of that.

Every once in a while I'll do a long search session to find new service, but the heavy handed sales jargon and the contracts and  the credit check, which will cause my credit rating to go down a couple of points, discourages me.

Also, I want internet service that will allow the playing of video games. The kids like that. It's just not available.

Until a real solution is found, I will continue to transmit these words via hotspot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.