Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Taxes and Tech Stuff

Arghh!
I did the preliminary run through our taxes today and have that same stomach churning feeling that I get every year before starting in on itemized deductions. All our kids have done their taxes and here I am dragging my feet. There's not much motivation to get them done before the deadline when you don't get anything back.

I had two tech problems this week, one solved, one not. The first was the remote for the new Dish receiver wouldn't work at night. You heard me right, at night. I called  customer support and ended up with a new remote, but same problem. I Googled it for a couple of days and finally found other people who had the same problem. I read suggestions that included brightening or darkening the picture, taping a piece of paper over the end of the remote, and holding the remote point blank to the receiver. The latter worked, but we found that leaving the ceiling light on at night while we watch tv cured the problem.

The second is that I can't get Outlook Express to send emails since I started using Verizon DSL. I'm not sure if one has affected the other, or if it's just coincidental that Outlook stopped working for outgoing mail at that time. I removed Verizon Download Manager, cleared Prefetch, played with various settings in Outlook, but I still cannot get anything to send. I even added the Verizon email to the Outlook account, and it has the same outgoing mail problem. I guess I'll keep messing with it and Googling until I can get it to work. Unless you, dear reader, just happen to know how to solve this and will share the fix with me. Hmmmm?

1 comment:

  1. I abandoned Outlook back around 2005 when I started using Gmail. Never looked back.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.