Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Snappy Little Ditty Needed

In my goals as a writer, I aspire to author a book or books one day, also bushels of poems and songs. My big problem is that I can't get past the title. Here are a few of my wanna-be big hit songs: The Postman's Cryin', Too Drunk to Dance and I'm Your Damned Fool. Can't you just hear the opening notes? Now you have probably realized why I don't have a career in writing. If only the words would come to me, or if I could hunt them down and catch them.

Joe, West Texan in Norway, sent me a picture of him putting up an owl box. The owls are considered useful in eradicating mice and rats. A hoot owl woke me up the other night. Maybe it was telling me to build it a box. I kept listening to hear if it was carrying off a cat, puppy or chicken.

That same night I heard what I thought was coyotes. In my mind it was a big ball of animals yipping, squeaking and yelping. It started far away, then was so close to the house that the hair stood up on the back of my neck and the dog started barking. Then the sounds quickly moved away. Maybe it was a group of elusive ring-tail cats. I wonder if I'll ever get to see one of those creatures. I'm always on the lookout for one.

1 comment:

  1. I heard that yipping thing again last night. It's really kind of alarming, and I'm used to the keening sound of coyotes. Wonder what they're up to.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.