Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

On the Bricks

- Downtown Roscoe -
Sometimes I'm uninspired, but this week I have more words and pictures than I could possibly post here. I'll try to condense it, as Campbell says.

Roscoe did not disappoint with the Spring Fling Saturday evening. Lots of people and music, food and drink. The children were wonderful. If everyone would have cut loose like the kids, there would have been one crazy street-dancing party. Even the tiniest of toddlers was boogie-ing on the the bricks.

The crowd was entertained by Lawless Flatz, the Tejas Brothers and later, at the Lumberyard, Scott Hammock. Smoke and ash was coming in on the south wind from the Wildcat Fire in Coke County, hitting us in the teeth as we all laughed, talked and hollered for the bands. Surely songwriters throughout the state are busy writing about the time all of Texas was burning. It seems like it is, anyway.

I met some folks at the gas pump in Sweetwater yesterday and they were headed to Houston from Midland, where they've had horrible house-burning fires. They were ready to get somewhere that the sky wasn't filled with soot.

I met Ed Duncan, author of the Roscoe Hard Times and keeper of the Roscoe Historical Museum. I got to talk his ear off twice, and I appreciate his patience with me. Ed is brother to my Norway contact, Joe Duncan.

Here's hoping that next week I won't have to mention fires, except maybe as a wrap up story. The forecast calls for high winds until Wednesday and a chance of rain Thursday night. That's for Fisher Co. If I look at the NOAA forecast for Scurry Co., just a mile up the road, there's not any chance of rain. This is one time when I hope the weather guy has gotten it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.