Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Abundance

The pancakes have been made and the froofy vanilla coffee has been brewed and drank. Drunk? Dranken? Anyway, as you can see, there are plenty of eggs in my house for cooking. It seems like I'm either completely inept, like when I try to play the guitar or sew, or I find that I'm wildly skilled at something I never dreamed of, like raising chickens that lay lots of eggs. This bowl is not all of the eggs in my refrigerator. The door is full, holding 18, and I keep the freshest dozen in a carton. If you're thinking you would like some, just let me know. A woman can eat only so many deviled eggs.

Last night we had an invasion of black click-beetle bugs that had a vicious bite. I had the heebie-jeebies so bad that I was jumping out of my skin when my hair touched my face. I never have had such happen before, but it's always some new experience here in the country. I tried to find one to photograph this morning, but I guess they're party bugs, only out late at night. I couldn't even find a dead one.

The other day I was sitting in the dentist's chair, feeling sleepy as I watched the trees swaying in the window, and I realized I had been sitting in those chairs for over forty years. I've never been to any other dentist office in my life. I live in the same house I did when I was a kid, drive the same roads, see the same people. It's not dull, I'm sure many of you have lived the same way. I was looking at the tank this morning, the one behind the house, and in my mind's eye I could see me and my grandma sitting out there fishing with cane poles. I could have watched us all morning. That's what makes living in the same place worth it to me. The memories come easier because the canvas my life was painted on is right in front of me.

We went to the Lumberyard in Roscoe a couple of times this week. I know the bands that play on the weekend nights are good, but I wanted to see what it was like during the day. I gotta tell ya, I like this place. The food is good, the atmosphere is so laid back and the people who work there are nice, something you really can't take for granted around here. Folks were coming in and out, making for some enjoyable people watching. Good old country music was playing when we were there yesterday. Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline. When we were there earlier this week, contemporary country music was playing. It's all good. You can sit inside or outside. All ages.

If you need a good reason to go to Roscoe, the Spring Fling is this coming weekend, April 16. Featured entertainment will be live music with the Tejas Brothers and Lawless Flatz, a children's play area, vendors, and fireworks. Believe me, Roscoe knows how to throw down when it comes to a celebration. So kill yourself two birds with one stone, and check out this new hotspot of West Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.