Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thunder only happens when it's raining


Or that's what Stevie Nicks says, anyway. I always thought, "Well, that's not so", so maybe she's saying the opposite of what she means, like in that song where the guy sings "God don't make little green apples, and it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summer", but then she says "Players only love you when they're playing" and that sounds probable. I surmise that I don't know what Stevie Nicks is talking about.

I do know that I like the sound of thunder and we're hearing it this morning. I pulled the latest radar photo off Lubbock's KBCD Channel 11 website. Looking at radars can be like playing with a Magic 8 Ball. When a scary storm comes up, I look at a radar that only shows where it's raining intensely. When it's dry, like now, I look for a radar that shows every particle of moisture that may be in the atmosphere from here to the moon (such as the one I've shown here).

My favorite radars are KTXS in Abilene; NOAA, the Texas radar; The Weather Channel, a very cool looking radar; KBCD, Lubbock, as above; and GOES, another page on the NOAA website, that shows water vapor in motion. I gotta keep my mind occupied when a bad cloud comes up.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I even remember what thunder sounds like....living in this God-forsaken desert, we NEVER get any rain in Las Vegas. I miss a good downpour every now and then....

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.