Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2008

All the stars up in the sky


I got up a five this morning, made a pot of coffee, then stepped out on the front porch and remembered why I truly love country living. Standing there in my pajamas I could see every star ever created and not a neighbor in sight to see me in my wherewithals. And it was quiet, except for some crickets. I'm telling ya, folks, there ain't nothin' better than a beautiful Texas morning.

There were stars shooting all over the place, but I couldn't find a calendar listing a meteor shower this a.m. I woke Jess up to show her, so I have a witness. We also saw a little flash of lightening off to the southeast, but I couldn't find anything on radar.

The photo today is from the StarDate website for the University of Texas McDonald Observatory. You can figure out how to identify constellations and all other kinds of things astronomical.

My friend Judy Green has a website, Sweet Cottage Charm, that you should check out. It's a Texas/Vegas mix with a lot of beautiful photos and daily chronicles. She also has an ebay profile where she sells sea shells by the seashore. Not really, she sells elaborate, upmarket items.

Okay, here are the essential headlines for the Roby Star / Rotan Advance July 31, 2008 issue:

  • Rotan School Board approves change of order of election, hires four new teachers
  • Filing for Roby School Board opened July 27
  • Rotan YHQ special registration
  • Hobbs teacher of the year (photo)
  • Start thinking about your entries for the Fisher County Fair, Aug. 22 - 23
  • Roby High School band camp
  • Annual tax-free weekend scheduled for Aug. 15-17
  • Fisher County Hospital Board tables bid property, approves purchase of chemistry analyzer, approves raise
  • Obituary for Dolores Mijares (photo)
  • Faith comes through for soldiers (photo)
  • Letter to Editor: Snake in the bathtub
  • Notice of registered sex offender James Don Gandy
  • Gabel Family Reunion
  • Randy's Roundup: America's energy independence, standing up for taxpayers and supporting our economy, failing to address Medicare's future shortfall, CRP update
  • Tumbleweed Smith: A palace on wheels
  • Fisher County Roundup by Joy Walker
  • Fisher County Queen contestants needed
  • Sheriff's Report
It's time for that vacation to Ruidoso or Colorado as the mercury will rise to 100 & Jeez! The weatherman says we'll cool off to the mere 90's by midweek. Be cool, stay cool!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Leslie! That was so sweet of you to add my links... Your post about the early morning starry sky sure makes me miss Texas...there's no place like it, that's for sure. I wanna move to the TX hill country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot...I didn't know if you knew that Ted's mother, Ruby (of Roby) passed away. Her funeral was on Friday I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopped in to say "Hello". No, I didn't change the name of my site again..."Yet". There is always next year for that.

    Love the country living also. I just happen to have an ocean nearby.

    Take Care,
    MP

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.