Pages

Monday, October 21, 2019

A country crawl

- Fisher & Nolan County stops -
I started out Saturday by stopping in at the Hobbs School to see how the reunion was going, and took a photo of Pat Porter and Peggy Vernon talking to Beth Martin during registration. I talked to Wally Shipp, who said it was the first reunion he had attended, and said Hello to Terry Porter, who was getting something out of his pick-up. I don't know Wally or Terry, but I thought I'd do a little name-dropping for the Hobbs readers. I wanted a photo of Howard and Judy Gordon, but they looked a little busy, what with trying to get things set up and all.

I went to Roscoe to attend the Wind Festival and say Hi to Edwin Duncan at the Roscoe Historical Museum, but the activities had not started and Edwin, aka Snake, aka Bitsy, wasn't there, yet.

I drove on over to Sweetwater and picked up one of my kiddos, and we had breakfast at Nerveria Chiquis on Pecan Street. Then we headed back to Roscoe, but the Mud Bog had started and things were quiet on the bricks, where the festival was taking place. We stopped in at the going-out-of-business sale at Main Street Antiques, and chatted awhile with Kay Aiken. I still couldn't locate Edwin.

We decided to head on out to Lake Sweetwater, where we stopped off at the amphitheater, down below the dam. The place was full of orb weavers, and I got a great photo of a black and yellow garden spider, known for its zig-zag web weave. We milled around the beach for a few minutes, then went home to take naps and revitalize for the evening.

We headed back to Roscoe around dusk to see Johnny Rodriguez and his band play for the street dance. I finally caught up with Edwin as he was coming out of the museum. He was carrying a jar a homemade sauerkraut and a lightbulb and was in good spirits. I saw a few Loraine people over there.

Finally, I dropped the baby (haha!) off and headed home. When I turned the corner at the Hobbs School, I thought there were a whole bunch of vehicles with headlights on parked just over the hill, but it turned out to be heavy night-shift activity at the Sahara lease, as well as the lit-up tower on the double Emily site.

There's a lot to be done around here if you're willing to put some mileage on the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.