Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Trespassing, but just a little

- Hobbs Gin Office -
You can't get anything past me. This morning I went out to look for a photo opportunity and found that the Hobbs Gin is no more. It must have been torn down between April 2007 and now. I give that year because that's the last time I took a photo of the gin. I suspect it was more recently, though, to make room for trucks filling up at the fresh water station that is now there, built a little north and west of the Conestoga storage building. The photo is of the gin office door. Sorry about my shadow.

I remember seeing an oil painting of the gin at Dale and Doshia Cave's house. I'm pretty sure Doshia painted it, she was talented that way. Dale was manager of the gin for many years.

I drove on around to Aunt Vera's house (Guy Weems) and noticed the barns and outbuildings are now gone. A little building in the field just south of house has also been leveled, where there was always stacks of Treflan jugs and buckets.

Claude's house (Claude was Guy's brother), just to the east of Vera's, has been gone for some time, but the tall pine trees and cellar remain.

There are some new looks on our road, too. The Landes's are nearly finished with their country house, the Munoz's are putting up a nice pipe fence, and Ronnie Green's house just got a fresh coat of paint. I've thought about contributing to the neighborhood aesthetics, but just a little effort makes me feel like napping right away. Maybe I'll get it into gear by the time the scissortails show up and the mesquites start to bud.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.