Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Moms are strong


This week I unloaded and loaded Miss Grand-daughter from the car and I'm pretty sure I overexerted one of my stringy muscles. I used to have strong, full mom muscles, but the only ones left are in my brain, trying to figure out how to outsmart my kids. Believe me, I'm starting to lose that race. Or just realizing how far behind I really am.

Here is the Hobbs kids photo I promised you last week. I recognize a few kids, like on the front row Darlene Teel, Penny Price and Sherry Anderle. I think a little girl named Esther who briefly attended is hanging off the side. I see Mary Ellen Cave sitting high right. I recognize Kristi Price and some Anderle boys. Anyway, if you know the names, comment on the bottom here and I'll add them in. Thanks, Penny, for the photo!

My dad has promised to introduce me to a real Hobbs buff whom he says has photos and scrapbooks dating way back when, and even some paraphernalia from when the military airplane crashed in the 1950's. I hope to meet her soon and share her memories of the community with all of you.

Here's an article I ran across called Folklore of the Rattlesnake, which seems timely, since the Sweetwater Jaycees Rattlesnake Roundup is just a month away, and on subject, since it mentions Buddy Burnett and other locals. The link I put to the story is a web page, but you can click at the top of it and download the whole article for easier reading.

I also found a photo of a blown out well near Hobbs on the Portal to Texas History website. You can spend a lot of time there just clicking around. Tons of info.

I don't know what went on at the school this week that required an ambulance, sheriff's vehicle and DPS. I had hoped it would be in the paper, but the Sheriff's report only went to Feb. 6. If I see it next week, I'll let you know. I guess I could just call up to the Sheriff's office and ask, but it would probably be annoying if I were calling up there all the time asking what's going on. I guess I could text them: WGOA (what's going on at) ----- (fill in the blank). I bet they'd appreciate that.

For those who love music (I do!) Sweetwater will be hosting a music festival Mar. 23-27. Check out the event on Facebook and suggest some of your favorite bands for the show. You'll have to log in to see the info.

The wind is blowing, how unusual, and flurries are forecast for this afternoon. Check out the Hobbs, TX weather at NOAA. Wear a coat if you're coming this way!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link about the rattlesnakes. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, we live across from the old Burnett place and rattlesnake stories about Buddy were part of growing up.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.