Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

I'm just a constituent


I took this photo in Mitchell County yesterday. I thought, "Oh, Schlumpy!" I've never seen a windmill looking like it had wilted.

I listened to the GOP's candidates for Texas Governor the other night. I kind of liked Medina. I gotta tell ya, I get sick of hearing discussions about these three subjects: abortion, gay marriage, health care. It makes me want to cut my wrists the minute these topics come up. I wish they would quit smelling up the room with those dead horses. Those carcasses are so squooshy, they're liquefied.

I can appreciate a discussion about TxDOT, though. Hutchison talked about revamping this brontosaurus of an institution and complained about lane miles not being added.

TxDOT is always revamping. Now, if she was REALLY talking about overhauling at the executive level, then get on it. Usually what happens, though, is the re-do takes place at the blue collar level, then they burn out before reaching any higher.

The working man sector of TxDOT has been cut to the bone and some counties are working with a deficit of employees. I wonder if they have compared the cost of using contract labor against the cost of using the TxDOT county employees. Used to, the local employees did the mowing and replacing of guardrail. These things are done by contractors, now. That's why sometimes you see a piece of guardrail sit damaged for months. The contractor may feel like they can afford to take the monetary penalty of not working within the contract guidelines and not feel inclined to get the project done right away (they get charged by the day if they go over the time allowed in the contract; sometimes what they make way overshadows any tariff, so they can afford to take a big hit).

If the local TxDOT guys were allowed to do the job, it would get done much faster. So, you're talking about solving safety and aesthetic issues quicker. If things keep on the way they have been, our roadways will look like some of those other local states', I don't want to mention names, New Mexico.

I don't know, maybe it's an issue of liability or cost of equipment. I think a comparison report is called for.

As for lane miles, think about your county. Do you need more roadway or do you need more maintenance? You're probably thinking maintenance. That costs a lot a money. Maintenance includes not only the roadway itself, but ditches, signs and guardrail.

I know in bigger cities they're all hepped up on more highway, but I don't care about the cities. I don't live there. I don't feel bad about saying I don't care, because it's a reciprocal feeling. It seems we're always getting blanket laws slapped on us that don't really pertain to us, but since big politics is in the city, our country society is often not considered in legislation. Unless it's agricultural legislation, but that's behind a whole 'nother gate.

I don't claim to be a member of any political party, so don't be thinking I'm republican just because I watched the GOP debate. With so many variables, I don't see how anyone can dedicate themselves to one political group. To quote my mom, "I was never much of a joiner." I prefer to make my own decisions.

Okay, enough of all that.

If you are working on a project or book that requires Texas historical resources such as permanent records, newspapers, journals, books, manuscripts, photographs, or historical maps, the Texas State Library and Archives Commission holds a veritable cornucopia of information. It is possible to get microfilm records on loan through your local library.

I came across the website for the local Lion's Club, of which Fredda Buckner is the District Governor. Buckner is also CEO and General Manager of Big Country Electric.

I've got to go do some rat-killing, so I'll wish you all a good Sunday and warn you that garden planning should be going on now because spring is just around the corner. Time to get those Gurney's out!

1 comment:

  1. I drove by this weekend and saw that the windmill had been repaired.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.