Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Roby Lady Lions win state


The final score against Neches was 44-34, the last team Roby had to beat to win the Class 1A Division II State Championship title. We're so proud of those girls! You can read all about it in the Abilene Reporter News. The photo collection that Thomas Metthe created is outstanding. The game took place last night at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin.

Remember to Spring forward today, it's Daylight Savings time. I was upset that we got a call before eight this morning, but I now realize it was just before nine.

The photo today is of my favorite gravestone in the Hobbs Cemetery. While there are many that are more ornate and beautiful, this one is the most poignant in it's simplicity.

My favorite in the Sardis Cemetery is the grave of a child of a poor cotton picker. I can hardly read it without tears coming to my eyes. I'm amazed when a few words can tell a whole story and bring a rush of emotion. Whoever writes these things are literary geniuses.

The Grady Cemetery favorite is that of Johnnie McCombs. It has the famous epitaph that begins "Remember me as you pass by...". The thing about this grave is that no matter how many times we've seen it, it always takes some effort to find every time we visit the graveyard, giving us the eerie illusion that the grave moves around.

I used to think it was a little strange to have favorite gravestones, but through the years I've talked to other people and they tell me about their faves. I'll admit, though, that part of my fascination has to do with all the time I spent at the Hobbs Cemetery with my grandmother when I was little. I thought everyone went to visit the family grave several times a week. In later years, I realized we were there so often because my grandfather had only died the year before I was born, and the death was still new to the family.

This past January marked 45 years that he has been deceased.

Okay, on to the headlines. Here's the sketch from the Roby Star Record / Rotan Advance March 5, 2009 issue:
  • Roby Lady Lions state bound (photo)
  • Two-vehicle accident (photos)
  • Carrion files for re-election, Pache Parks, Randy Sharp & Roy Rivas file for Roby City Council
  • Sweetwater City Manager Eddie Brown addresses Tenaska Trailblazer Energy Project concerning water use (this is a real hot topic in Fisher & Nolan counties)
  • Pastor's Column: Jerry Vincent
  • Western Texas College Nursing Program Pinning & Graduation (photo) (woo-hoo, A'Lora!)
  • Rotan Schools honor rolls
  • Public meeting Mar. 6 @ Fisher County Hospital re: submission of application for financial assistance to be used for ambulance replacement
  • Baby shower selection for Holly Simmons & Adam Skees at The Yellow Rose, inside the Newspaper Office
  • Fisher County Roundup by Joy Walker
  • What's Happened with 4-H by Riley Barnett, Fisher County Extension Agent
  • Big Country Electric sponsors three to D.C., announces scholarship winners
  • News Briefs: 2010 Census (hiring test info)
  • State Rep. Joe Heflin named Vice-Chair of Rural Caucus
  • Birth announcement for Brody Creed Evans (photo)
  • Rotan High School weekly bulletin
  • Roby CISD weekly announcements
  • HuckPAC Party (photo), more info at huckpac.com
  • Tumbleweed Smith: Adventures in the Sky and on the Ground
  • Spring cleaning sale at The Yellow Rose inside the Newspaper Office
  • Fisher County sports reports (photos)
  • Texas Public Schools month, March (two photo collage pages)
  • Randy's Roundup: President Obama's budget proposal; The Federal Government must stop supporting broken banks; Texas Independence Day
  • Blood Drive in Rotan, Mar. 9, at The Country Store
  • Roby Lady Lions support page (photo)
Once again, I would like to urge you to get your subscription to the Roby Star Record / Rotan Advance. You can contact the newspaper by email at radvance@rotanadvance.com or regular mail at Post Office Drawer A, Rotan, Texas 79546. Subscription rates are as follows per year: in Fisher County & surrounding counties - $30; within Texas - $33; outside Texas - $35.

I'm not affiliated with the newspaper, and anything printed here is merely my interpretation and in no way represents the views of the paper itself. But if you don't get it, then you don't get it! The whole story that is, so get your own subscription before the week's out and read all about the important issues in this community.

2 comments:

  1. Tombstone Epitaph: "Remember me as you pass by, as you are now so once was I, as I am now so you must be ... prepare for death and follow me."

    I grew up on a farm close to Grady Cemetery where this tombstone is located. As a kid I used to pass by there on my bicycle and would stop to read this epitaph. Does anyone know whose tombstone this belongs to, i.e., the name or the history behind it? If so, please contact me because I still find it fascinating!

    Rene' Martinez
    email address: edie532005@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be Johnnie McCombs, Jan. 1, 1873 to May 6, 1952. Thanks for the quetion, Rene!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.