Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Tom Hargrove, A Hobbs Boy in Africa


Tom came up with the title himself, as you will know if you read last week's entry. The photo is from Tom and shows him (right) inspecting a 10-foot-tall Cotton Tree in a village in Mali, West Africa. I will be identifying the other person in the photo forthwith. Cotton is a perennial crop, which mean that it will grow indefinitely if not killed by winter or purposely destroyed. Note the thick, wood-like base of the plant. You can also see small pods of lint - the bolls - on the plant. This plant was being grown as an ornamental, not for production. No, I'm not a cotton genius, Tom gave me all that information.

I have never thought of letting cotton grow beyond one season, and it was an inspiring idea, although Dad did point out that it wouldn't make it through the winter. It just kind of made me wonder about the other things I've never thought about or explored, and if you read Tom's Africa Travel Journal, you will feel like you're letting the grass grow under your feet. I have perused the journal and it made me feel like I need to get up and do something! It also made me hungry as he describes the delicacies he ate. This was about his fifteenth trip to Africa. Once again, if you would like to read the journal, please email me at admin@hobbsholler.com and I will let Tom know. I encourage you to get the journal, he is a natural storyteller. Well, and he has written a few things. Check it out on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.