Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Farmer's Almanac not for farmers

I happily picked up my free yearly Farmer's Almanac yesterday at a local store, thinking with pleasure about perusing it while daydreaming about seeds I want to plant too early.

I opened the little book up this morning and on page six I found a very bizarre article.

What caught my eye was a catch line that reads "Checking Your Banking And Investments." I'm  pretty good about staying on top of all that, but wondered what people are not doing, other than not reconciling or looking at balances.

In this two paragraph snippet, it calls for investors to move everything away from coal, oil, gas and transportation.

That's just about everything that makes life possible on the farm, or anywhere.

What an odd thing to be in the Farmer's Almanac. It seems counterintuitive, like it's written for another culture.

It is such a broad, sweeping condemnation, almost like Jean Grigsby, author of the article "What Can You Do to Help Slow the Effects of Climate Change," had no idea who the target audience was going to be. Is Grigsby a farmer? How does this person run their tractors? How do they get crops to market?

Shoot, I'm disappointed, just like when I figured out Mother Earth News and The Rolling Stone were political. I almost wish I was ignorant and could just enjoy reading magazines without seeing the bent.

P.S. Farmer's Almanac and Old Farmer's Almanac are two different publications. I'll have to pick up (and pay for) a copy of the latter, and hope not to be disheartened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.