Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2020

I've got a proposition for you

I voted early. In our county, a person could vote in two locations February 18 through February 28, 8 AM to 5 PM. I simply don't understand all the caterwauling about long lines at the polls. There was plenty of time to get in there. Then, again, I don't think anyone around here was crying about it, I just saw it on the news.

As I was going about my serious business of voting for my candidate, I got to the end of the ballot, where the propositions were, and it seemed I had suddenly fell into a facebook rabbit hole. I would have said "What the hell?" out loud if I hadn't been the only person voting at that time, but I certainly thought it.

"Do I want them to stop doing WHAT to children? Is this even happening?" and "Well, people still pray wherever they want to, despite the law" were a couple of thoughts I had upon reading the propositions (here's the list). By the way, this was on the Republican ballot. I'm not true to any one party, I vote on whatever ballot has the people on it that I'm interested in having in office.

Usually, I research and look at sample ballots, but I was so single-minded in voting for one office only that I went in unprepared. The propositions seemed preposterous, and they diminished the gravitas of the voting process, for me.

Who comes up with these? I want to see the names of the people who are responsible for such nonsense. I want to know the process of how a proposition gets on a ballot, along with the research and reasoning for placing them before the public. I have a few of my own that would pertain to real life.

I propose, say, that it should be mandatory for all students to take a class on handling bank accounts and credit cards. Learn how to reconcile payments against the balance, and remember those auto-drafts! And, hey, that credit card money isn't free.

Also, let's do something about litter. It's not okay to throw your trash out the car window, or to dump a couch on the side of the road. Aesthetics matter, people!

Now I'm off to break my mind trying to figure out the proposition process and what motivates the people who have figured it out for themselves. There's always a new trick for an old dog to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.