Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Cooler weather and reading real books

- Stormy windmills -
During July and August it seemed as though we were under a curse. The penetrating heat went on and on, like it would never end.

Now we are being treated to cooler weather and rain, one day more pleasant than the next. The windmills I've photographed are between Hermleigh and US 180, just as a cold front rolled in yesterday.

I began keeping a record of each day last October, jotting down bills paid or items bought. I looked back to see what the weather was like this day a year ago, but I didn't start noting that information until the end of October. By the 21st it was getting cold in earnest, and the first frost was November 9th, as my record reads.

I've been perusing a few books about some of the most media-exploited crimes of the 1980's and 1990's. What strikes me most in the reading of these books is that many of the people don't seem to be able to speak cognitively. There are so many broken sentences, and putting what should be at the end of the sentence at the beginning. It makes me wonder if we all really talk that way and we subconsciously add in the "and"s, "but"s and "or"s that are missing.

Another thing that bugged me was vagrant inconsistencies, especially in the Downs books. The changing description of the car, for one, kept me turning back the pages (much easier to do with a paper book than a kindle) to confirm that the previous account of the vehicle was different from what was now being offered. Was it a Nissan or a Datsun? Who knows?

They're good, fast reads, though, and if you would like to take a look at them, they are about Wanda Holloway, Diane Downs, and Candy Montgomery. I'm also reading fiction in between. You know, where people speak in a clear and concise manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.