Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cotton stripping in high gear, seismographers arrive

- Busy Deeres -
The constant grinding of cotton strippers can be heard day and night, with dots of lights moving back and forth over fields in the dark. This is the prelude to winter, and ginning will go on well into the coldest part of the season.

Coming down Camp Springs road last night, I thought there was a wreck because I saw some orange and red blinking lights in the distance, but when I came upon them, they were signaling three seismograph vehicles lined up in a row, with a crew working all around them. I took photos, but as you can see in my Twitter feed to the right, they did not turn out well.

I'm trying some new technology, well, old mixed with new. I just purchased a dial-up modem that has a usb port attached to it, which I'm going to plug into a wireless router. I've found a place online where I can sign up for ten free hours of dial-up internet. It may not be a solution, but I want to have as many alternatives as possible.

According to the Texas Public Notices page on the Texas Press Association site, Circle C in Rotan has submitted an application for a wine and beer permit, so it looks like Fisher County will soon be collecting proceeds from the first legal sales of alcohol since local option was enforced after the repeal of prohibition.

I don't actually know if that is true. I can't figure out if Fisher County was ever wet. An article I found on the Texas State Historical Association site is interesting and explains a few things, but doesn't pinpoint the events in this county.

Read more about Texas History here. The word solon used in the article means statesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.