Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

The cost of internet freedom

Four weeks after the big storm and I finally have internet, again. Sort of.

I have parted ways with Dish on internet service. Since they have changed contractors, they felt that an outage was a perfect time to charge me an arm and a leg to install a new system and get me signed up for a two year contract. I was not in agreement.

I'm fed up with satellite anything. I would not refer anyone to any type of satellite service. They are unreliable and expensive. Shyster-y, too.

I'm also fed up with two year contracts, such a magic number. I'm not signing up for another darn anything.

Which brings me to my current internet situation, getting usage through a portable wireless device. After paying more than $200 for the item itself, a warranty and service, I have contract-free internet. Now, grant you, it's only a bit faster than dial-up, but here I am, talking to you all once more.

With no contract, I will be free to pursue the next good thing to come along, if this latest new thing doesn't break me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.