Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Tech Stuff: Smart Fortress 2012 Malware

It's been a while since I've had problems with the computer, but today I had one of those pop-up malware thingies that mimics your virus protection program. When I tried to open a file, program or browser, the rogue app would tell me it was infected and would prevent it from opening. I guess it's a scam deal, too, and they're trying to trick you into paying money for Smart Fortress 2012. I told my boy about it and he said "Look it up on YouTube!" So, I did and thanks to a video by Britec, I made short work of that piece of crud bug in my machine. I was also introduced to a few new and useful apps, one of which I will be keeping, Malwarebytes. It was nice to get rid of the problem in ten minutes instead of two weeks. I still have mixed up files from the virus I had in my computer three years ago. There's that ghost in the machine, again.

2 comments:

  1. Download a copy of Spybot. Make sure and let the Tea Timer part of the program run all the time. The Tea Timer prevents changes to the registry without first asking if that is OK with you.

    Malwarebytes is a great little program too. Also Spybot has a bootable CD you can make where it can remove crap before your system loads. Last but not least is Mcafee Stinger, a free application that will remove some very nasty little virus programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I have Spybot, but not always running, maybe that's how this one snuck in. I'll check out the Stinger.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.