Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Beauty of It

Like country kids have to find their own entertainment out here in West Texas, locals have to find their own beauty in what some might consider a desolate land.

This seems easy to me on most days, except when the dust inundates the air, making everything a dull brown.

The other day we were cutting wood and I came across some gnarled mesquite pieces that looked like someone's crazy nightmare, like chunks of wooden brains. The longer I looked at them, the more images I could see. The photo looks like a face at this certain angle, but if turned looks like another creature.

A friend of mine goes out on her four-wheeler and finds old stumps, sand-blasts them, lacquers them, then makes them into candle-holders. I have one and a different figure emerges every new position I place it.

A new, well-made fence can also be a thing of beauty and there are plenty of those around right now. I saw Mike Porter (Sr.) using a chain-saw to top off a post on the new fence at Grady Cemetery. There is also a new fence around the old Templeton place here at Hobbs. Watching the fencer at work was like watching someone create art. A nicely dressed man, he didn't look left or right, just kept to his business, all day long.

I've probably mentioned this before, but my friend, the late George Maule, told me that February was the best month for cutting fence posts from mesquite, getting to it before the sap rises. In fact I'm quite certain I've said it before, but maybe I'll say it every year, just to keep George in our memories.

Now to find the beauty in paying bills and running errands. Nobody promised me a rose garden.


4 comments:

  1. If you can find Jesus or Mary in one of those old mesquite gnarls, we can send it in to the Weekly World News.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw one that looked like Elvis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your remembrances of our Dad, George Maule. You were so good to Dad and he really enjoyed your friendship. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your words, Charlotte. Your dad will always stand as a legends in my mind.

      Delete

Comments will be moderated.