Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Blind as a Chicken

The Rooster
This morning, early, around 5:30 a.m., I was standing on the porch and I noticed one of the roosters out in the yard under a tree. All I could see was his profile, a perfect cutout of his shape. I went out to see if he was alive or dead and realized that he couldn't see in the dark. I asked him what he was doing and he started clucking at me like one of the hens and acting helpless. I shooed him back to the shop so he wouldn't be out in the open. He seemed to be able to make out that he wasn't running into objects in the dim illumination of the security light, but once he got into the deep shadow behind the pick-up, he needed a cane. You're probably laughing at me because you already knew that chickens can't see at night, an explanation for roosting in trees and going to sleep at dusk, but I'm excited to know that I'm not too old to learn a simple lesson. Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. An explanation for the rooster being in the yard: we kicked them out of the pen to let them fend for themselves. We had four, we are now down to two. I'm probably going to start feeling sorry for them and put them back in the pen. I nearly did today, so I'm pretty sure it will happen soon if they continue to outsmart the varmints.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.