Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The 1947 Cactus

Hobbs School
I came across this Hobbs annual today and it is full of wonderful pictures. I saw so many familiar faces. I wish I could show all the pages, and we could laugh and point at old so-and-so.

This photo of the school really caught my eye. I couldn't believe that this used to be at Hobbs.

The caption reads "Volleyball and Baseball, We entered Volleyball and Baseball with determination to show what Hobbs girls could do in sports. Coach seemed to suspect this so he was hesitant about getting us a first game. Twelve girls came out for volleyball, and ten played baseball. Even though there was no schedule already made out for these sports, we enjoyed playing the few games we did play with other schools and especially those played among ourselves."

These gals seemed pretty liberated, and they wore some pretty short shorts, too!

2 comments:

  1. I have a daughter who plays V-ball and I shoed her this picture - wow - how times have changed. Thank You to our ancestors for starting programs for girls that were out of the "normal".

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother went to school in Snyder, TX during the 50's and she said no way, no how were they allowed to wear pants. My father, on the other hand, went to Hobbs in the 50's and he said the girls wore those "jeans that come to the knees" all the time. I guess they were just cutting edge at Hobbs!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated.