Pages

Monday, October 7, 2024

Like they used to

- Heritage Square, Abilene -
I was in Abilene the other day, using the Grape Street train crossing to get from North First to South First, when I was held up by a sight that had me gaping and almost stopping traffic.

My first thought was, "They're making them like they used to!".

A big, beautiful structure sat before me, complete with grotesque stone creatures guarding the main entrance from above. It was in an obvious state of construction. 

I was only a little dismayed to learn that the building is an old one that is being renovated, but very excited to find out that it was designed by architect David S. Castle.

It was originally built as the Abilene High School in 1924. It sits between Peach and Vine streets, fronting South First, with Third Street running behind. 

This is the Heritage Square project. It will house the library and other community oriented programs. I am looking forward to visiting this mammoth historic site when it is finished, which is projected to be sometime in 2026.

Notes:

Photos, from upper left, are from Abilene Heritage Square on facebook; The Portal, McMurry Collection; The Portal, David S. Castle Collection. 

Additional information and articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be moderated.